Sunday, July 27, 2014

Take the kids!

Sometimes, people ask me where they should take their kids to fish. Near Lansing, Sleepy Hollow State Park is good and Park Lake is good. I would like to recommend one place that has good fishing for both kids and adults. The small lake in Meridian Township's Central Park, behind the Meridian Mall, has good sportfishing and enough panfish to keep kids busy.
 

 



Your equipment does not need to be extravagant. A well-made Zebco combo will get you through the panfish and most of the bass, but if you are thinking about going after the carp and northern pike, I would suggest getting an Ugly Stick and a Shimano reel.  For panfish and bass, Eagle Claw swivels, splitshot weights and #4 snelled hooks will get you by.  However, for the northern pike, a must-have is a heavy fluorocarbon or steel leader.  You will need big, strong live bait hooks.  I like Gamakatsu hooks myself.
 
 
For bait, worms will supply all your panfish and smaller bass needs, but if you want to catch monster largemouth or big pike, you will need shiners or suckers.  I got mine for my most recent trip at my old standby, Grand River Bait and Tackle on Grand River in Lansing.  For those people who want to get started fishing or who are beginners, targeting small ponds in the summer can be one the best ways to have a fun first fishing trip.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment