Sunday, July 6, 2014

Grand Ledge is Grand Fishing

As I have mentioned, fishing is tough in the Looking Glass this summer.  The water continues to run high even in early July, and debris in the river continues to be a problem.  One place I have had success every time I have been there this summer, however, is the Island Park in the Grand River in Grand Ledge.  This place is great for smallmouth bass!

 
 

At Grand Ledge, there seems to be a high concentration of 11-to-15 inch bass, and there is possibility of catching an even larger fish.  The fish here seem to be very aggressive, and will hit a variety of lures, including tubes, jigs and crankbaits.  As summer progresses, and the level of the river lessens, look for smallmouth to be grouped in slackwater and in deep holes.


Although I have had great success at this location, live bait has not been the best bet for me there.  When choosing a color for a lure, I prefer colors that resemble a crayfish.  Lures that resemble bait fish do not seem to be very effective, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment