Monday, July 14, 2014

Live versus Lure

As the summer has progressed, I have stayed away from using live baits, such as minnows.  Instead, I have used a variety of lures, and two types that stand out are tubes and crank baits.  First, I will talk about the tube jig.  I have caught many fish on this, including all three types of bass in Michigan:  the smallmouth, the largemouth and the rock bass.  I use tube jigs mostly while fishing in rivers by letting it drift down with the current and then hopping it back;  success has been good. 





Next up is the crank bait.  For smallmouth bass, I prefer a crayfish-color crankbait that almost touches or touches the bottom.  For largemouth bass, I prefer a minnow-colored crankbait such as the clack-and-rap.  My advice is to run them one or two feet below the surface.  With these tips for these two lure categories, I can almost guarantee that you will be catching some fish this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment