Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Maple River State Game Area

For several years, people have suggested that I visit the floodings in the Maple River State Game Area to fish for pike, crappie, and maybe even a bowfin.  I finally went there this past Saturday, in an area just to the west of U.S. 127 in southern Gratiot County.  I did catch some small pike, and I suspect there was a bigger pike right nearby, as something was striking at my bait.  I think this fish might have been about 28 inches long.  I was using gold shiners as bait.  


There were mosquitoes everywhere because this is kind of a swampy place.  I scouted this area back in the winter with a friend and we saw a couple of guys spearing bowfin.  A huge pile of decaying bowfin is still there, and was causing the place to smell pretty bad.  The fresh scent of springtime was not in the air!


The water where I fished seemed pretty stagnant and I didn't see any pan fish, which is a little unusual.  I wonder about the extent of the food sources in the floodings as compared to the Maple itself.  If you're a bird watcher, I think this would be a good place to visit, but if you're an angler, there might be better choices along the Maple close by, like the dam in Elsie, where I caught a huge number of rock bass during Memorial Day Weekend in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment