Sunday, May 31, 2015

Bass attack!

Lately, I have been doing extremely well fishing for bass, and I believe the secret to all my success is the wacky worm.  During the past month or so, I have been hammering bass using this technique wherever I go.  It has even produced five 18-inchers and many more bass over 15 and 16 inches.  

Now, for those of you who do not know what a wacky rig is, I take a senko worm and hook it through the middle.  This is a little more technical than using just any hook.  You have to use a special wacky hook for increased hook-ups and you can use rubber bands so you don't lose as many worms.   Here is a photo with some examples:



The method is to cast out as far as you can, usually along a weed edge, and let it fall to the bottom. Then you give the rig two to three pops every ten seconds or so and then let it fall back to the bottom. Many of the strikes will occur on the fall;  when you go to do the popping motion, you will hook your fish.  I have also enjoyed success with quick, two-second pauses, and then reeling the rig back. When you use this technique, you want a long, sensitive rod, so you can feel the light bites and keep in touch with the light lure.  

Several times in May, I have caught more than 12 bass in just a couple of hours! I can tell you from experience, the wacky worm works!




No comments:

Post a Comment