Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pike- The Long and Short of It

During our adventures in the Looking Glass River over the last two weeks, we have landed two beautiful specimens of pike.  On Memorial Day, I caught a baby 12-inch pike after throwing a Husky Rapala that was over four inches long.  That pike had eyes bigger than his stomach, because he took a lure that was about one-third his length! 



A week later, we were back in the area, with some of Grand River Bait and Tackle's biggest minnows.  To our surprise, when we got to the Looking Glass, there were two big pike waiting for us.  Within a few minutes, I had one of them on my line, but, to my disappointment, it managed to get off.  After fishing for another hour or so, I finally had a little luck.  A giant, 31-inch pike was waiting on the bottom of a pool to ambush anything that came near.  I quickly threw in a minnow and the fight was on!  Landing this monster was a big battle, which involved a lot of mud and getting bit a couple of times.  We finally managed to get this beast up on the bank and took some pictures.  Then we put this beautiful fish back in his home in the Looking Glass.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment