Sunday, June 12, 2016

Mid Michigan Bass Fishing



This weekend, I attended the Meridian Township Fishing Derby.  Last year I attended this event, and I won the category for the biggest fish, and I was hopeful for the same result this year.  I have fished this pond, at the Meridian Historic Village, a lot during the last few summers, so I had a good idea of where the fish could be found and what they were going to bite.  I was also hopeful because two days before, on Thursday, I had seen a man named Kelly stocking the pond with pike and bass that he had caught.  I thanked him for doing that! 
 
Fishing, unfortunately, was a little slow during the tournament.  Younger kids were catching some blue gill, but the bass were very elusive that day.  I did, however, manage to catch a 16.5 inch bass, which turned out to be the biggest fish caught during the day.  I caught this bass using one of my favorite approaches on this pond, which is fishing one of the many weed edges with a shiner below a bobber.  
 
 

 
 
I would like to do a shout out, and thank the gentleman named Kelly for stocking the pond and making it a great resource for kids who want to fish, and everyone else who worked hard and donated equipment to make the event a fun first day of summer vacation.  I was also pleased to talk with Mike Devlin, with the Meridian Township Recreation Department, and Mark Stephens, from Project F.I.S.H. at MSU.  These gentleman are real resources for young people like me, and they deserve our appreciation!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment