Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Fish of Summer

 It has been a great summer of fishing on the Looking Glass River here in Clinton County, Michigan.  This year, many bass have found my pike minnows irresistible  Most times, small mouth bass beat the pike to my minnow.  The bass I have been catching have been 12 to 14 inches.  They are not huge bass, but are fun to catch.
Although I have not caught as many pike this summer as in past years, I think the pike are more aggressive.  I have had many exciting takes where pike have jetted as fast as they could to take my artificial or live bait.  I still think there was a summer die-off of pike in the hot summer of 2012 that affected the population, as the pike don't seem as plentiful as they were in the last few years.
While I think there are fewer pike, I enjoy watching wildlife along the Looking Glass and I always bring a camera to take pictures.  This is a shot of an Eastern Garter Snake basking in a tree in the Riverfront Park in downtown DeWitt.  Anyone who decides to hike along the Looking Glass has a chance to see Blue Herons, snapping turtles, map turtles, painted turtles, muskrats, mink, white tail deer and their fawns and wild turkeys. 

1 comment:

  1. Joseph,
    Love your blog. I live by and fish at and near Riverside park in Dewitt. I have seen several pike just west of the park and just caught one just east of the park. None i have seen match the one in your picture. But i think they are back and next year could be a good year. Good luck, keep blogging and keep fishing.

    ReplyDelete