Sunday, July 7, 2013

Return of the Pike!

Late in the summer of 2012, I became concerned about the pike population in the Looking Glass River near DeWitt.  I was not able to catch or see any pike because, I think, the water was so low and warm.  But on July 7, I returned to the Looking Glass and the pike are back!


I cast a minnow into the river and a big pike came out of nowhere and grabbed it;  this might have been one of the best strikes I have ever had!  The pike constantly thrashed and jumped, which made for great entertainment.  As you know, I am a catch-and-release fisherman, so I put the pike back for the next fisherman to catch.

A few minutes later, an ever bigger pike hit my minnow.  I struggled with this pike for four or five minutes.  He must have been 34 or 35 inches long.  Unfortunately, he did a back flip and came off my hook.  I was sorry to lose this pike, but I enjoyed the great battle we had!

No comments:

Post a Comment